Nigerian clubs stunned on match day 2

It was a bad match day yesterday for Nigerian clubs as both Kada Queens and Yobe desert were beaten in their respective matches.

In the first match of the day, Nigerian champions Kada queens played host to Kenya league champions Telkom in a match touted by many as “a meeting of champions”. The match started with both teams in search of a win after respective derby wins. The first quarter saw both teams play defensive and very cautious.

Maureen Arianda put Telkom Kenya in-front four minutes into the second quarter after bad defending from Kada Queens. Tournament joint top scorer, Lucy Wangechi increased the tally in the third quarter before Tracy Karanja made it 3-0 in the 56th minute with a wonderful penalty corner.

Speaking after the game, head Coach of Kada Queens said, “We gave them open spaces in the second quarter and allowed them to run freely. We still love the way we play no matter what happens…we will work on our mistakes and come back the next game well prepared”.

GRA ladies moved top of the league log after thrashing Yobe Dessert 8-0 in the second game. Narkuoh Vivian put GRA in-front as early as the 2nd minute before making it two in the 16th minute. Lydia Afriyie added her name to the score-sheet in the 39th minute. Berko Mavis increased the tally from a penalty corner before skipper Grant Moinica’s brace in the 48th and 51st minute made it 6-0. Elizabeth Opoku and Deborah Whyte rounded up the victory in the 54th and 60th minute.

The final game was between Ghana Police ladies and Strathmore. After both teams losing on match day 2, this was an opportunity to redeem themselves. However, it was Strathmore who scored first from Okumu Gilly in the 7th minute. Ghana police responded quickly through Umaru Nafisatu two minutes later. The first quarter ended 1-1.

Both teams came into the second quarter in search of a goal but that never happened as the defenders put up a good show. The goal came in the third quarter courtesy Martha Sarfoa to put police ladies ahead. Umaru Nafisatu got her sixth goal of the competition to move top of the scorers chart in the 48th minute. Cecilia Ofoi made it 4-1 in the 51st minute to send Ghana police 3rd on the log.

Skipper of Ghana Police ladies spoke after the match; she said, “We are so grateful to God for this victory. We had to come back after that defeat to GRA and that is exactly what we did. We will fight hard till the end of this competition, and hopefully get the ultimate”.