ELIZABETH SAFOA KING (Ghana)
|Treasurer | AfHF
|A very humble, God fearing, highly disciplined, hardworking and dynamic woman, A Director of Prisons with over 38 years experience working in various capacities in the Ghana Prisons Service and rose to the rank of Director of Prisons 2nd highest in the service and very interested in sports.
I was born into a sporting family where my mother was a sports woman and my elder sister was a national athlete-hurdler. St Monica’s began participating in hockey tournaments in the Ashanti Region and by virtue of our successes some of us were chosen to be in the Ashanti Regional team and won all tournaments in Regional tournament. In 1972 I was among the first ladies to form National women’s hockey team under the captainship of Mrs. Margaret Akofio- Sowah and participated in Ghana Nigeria and All Africa Games in Bulawayo-Zimbabwe.
I joined the Prison Service in 1984 and formed the Prisons Ladies team in 1985 and rejuvenated the men’s team and played actively until I retired from active hockey about 25yrs ago. From 1985 up to this time Prisons (Reformers ladies) have been a team to reckon with both internationally and on the local scenes-(SESSA, Greater Accra League, Regional games).
By virtue of the interest I had in hockey I became the representative of the Security Services Sports Association (SESSA) on the National Association, (and had since been the face of ladies on the Association with the portfolio as the treasurer since 1993 up to date.)
I was a member of the Ghana Olympic Committee and on the women’s commission advocating for women inclusion and participating in international tournament from 1996 until 2011
Through advocacy and mentoring the National Association accepted women in managerial position in Hockey especially where women teams are concerned and now have women as team managers and assistant coaches for the ladies teams.
I have attended and officiated in tournaments and is now mentoring other women to take up officiating as judges and umpires.
I am a computer literate ,excellent mediation/arbitration skills, Have good organizing abilities, Passion for people and will do the best in my ability to assist the individual in need, Excellent interpersonal relations A very good listener Deliberate thoroughly before making decisions Diplomatic and sensitive to others point of view.
I hold MA’s in Human Rights and Adult Education I also hold Diploma in Management of Olympic Sports Organizations, an Executive Diploma in ADR Studies as well as Diploma in Home Economics
I have attended Sports Leadership Workshop (National Women in Sports) and Sports Leadership Course (International Olympic Committee)
I have various International Sporting Assignments to my credit such as:-
- Led the Prisons Women’s Volleyball Team to Lagos, Nigeria, (1993)
- Led the Women’s National Hockey Team to the 7th All African Games, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (1995)
- Represented Ghana Hockey Association at FIH International Congress in Brussels, Belgium, (1996)
- Represented the Ghana Hockey Association as a Judge at the 21st African Clubs of Nations Championship held in Alexandria, Egypt. (November 2000)
- Represented the Ghana Hockey Association as a Judge at the 15th All Africa Games in Abuja, Nigeria (October 2003)
- Led the National Women’s Hockey team to the 1st Afro-Asian Games in India (October-November2003)
- Tournament Officer (T.O) for the Africa Cup of Nations Hockey tournament in Pretoria-South Africa (1stNovember-10th November 2005).
- Tournament Director (T.D) for the African Cup for Club Championship-Hockey in Cairo, Egypt 5th-14th 2008
- Tournament Official (TO) –Africa Cup of Nations Tournament -2000 in Accra-Ghana
- Tournament Official (TO)- Olympic Qualifying –Kakamighara-Japan 23rd April 2012-6th May 2012